Things to Do in the July 2018 School Holidays
Lovedale in the Hunter Valley is a great place to spend some valuable time with all the family during the July 2018 NSW School Holidays. There is a wonderful variety of family friendly accommodation in Lovedale and you can even bring the family pet along to some of them! (It is always a good idea to check first).
Once you are here, you can find plenty of excellent activities for young children, as well as teenagers – from cooking classes, carousel rides, manicure lessons – to fun in the snow.
And not everything has to cost money: a day bushwalking in the beautiful Werakata National Park is the perfect way to get back to nature and enjoy a family outing and picnic.
Family Friendly Activities at Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley
Crowne Plaza have an exciting host of activities for the whole family to enjoy these July 2018 school holidays. Enter a World of Wizardry at the Harry Potter themed kids high tea, take part in the Lego Long Lunch and build your one pizza. There are some excellent activities for older children as well, including nail and hair care at Ubika Spa.
Harry Potter High Tea
Enter a world of magic and enjoy an abundance of sweet treats and snacks at our first Harry Potter themed Kids High Tea. The little ones will also enjoy a range of entertainment including a magician, face painting and arts and crafts.
Dates: 14th sold out, 20th July sold out, and Sunday 15th July – new!
Time: 2pm – 4pm
Venue: Cabernet-Merlot Room
Menu: View the menu here
Pricing: Adults (16 and above): $32
Children (2 and above): $29
Children (2 and under): Free, individual seats not allocated
Lego Long Lunch
Hosted by Lil’ Kidz Constructions, the kids will love the range of brick building activities which will be sure to challenge and inspire their creativity. Following the 1 hour workshop, each little builder will construct their own mini-burger to demolish for lunch.
Dates: 21st July
Time: 11am – 12:30pm
Pricing: $20 per person
Bookings are essential.
Glamour Nails with Ubika Spa
Get your nails painted by a Ubika Spa nail specialist and learn the basics of great nail care.
Dates: 11th July
Time: 11am – 12noon
Pricing: $10 per person
Hair Tutorial with Ubika Spa
Learn how to care for your hair, do the perfect ponytail and discover the tricks to the classic updo.
Dates: 18th July
Time: 11am – 12noonPricing: $10 per person (suitable for 7+ years)
Build a Pizza
Join our Chef for a hands-on pizza making workshop, and enjoy your edible creations.
Dates: 10th July and 16th July 2018
Time: 11am – 12noon
Price: $10 per person
Photos: Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley
Hunter Valley Horse Riding
No matter the season, Hunter Valley Horse Riding and Adventures offers a selection of rides daily for both beginners and experienced riders.
- Trail Rides – You ride with a dedicated, qualified guide who gives you assistance and guidance along the way.
- Sunset Rides – As the wildlife awakens and begin to feed, ride with the Kangaroos and Wallabies in the light of the beautiful sunsets.
- Personalised Rides – For a Special Occasion, Pleasure Ride, or Personalised Tuition.
- Birthday Rides/Parties – For those young lovers of horses, what would be better than spending their birthday with these beautiful animals. From 8 years of age you are able to go on a trail ride, under 8 years of age a pony will take you for a ride through part of the trail. Bring your friends and enjoy a picnic, party food and horse /pony rides. There are also farm animals, including cows and calves, chooks, Fresh Farm eggs, birds and guinea pigs and of course, every farm has to have a dog and cat. Talk to the beautiful draught horses, Suffolk Punch (an endangered breed), Percheron and Clydesdale “The gentle giants” . Inspect the horse drawn coaches from yesterday. Bring the children for a day in the country.
- Pony Rides – For tiny tots and under 8 years of age the ponies will take them through the trail over the fields. Older children and parents can also join this ride. Kangaroos are usually seen on the ride and the children can later visit the aviary to say hello to the parrots, guinea pigs and chooks.
Open Daily. Find our more about Hunter Valley Horse Riding here
Bush Walking at Werakata National Park
Werakata National Park in the Lower Hunter Valley is loved by locals. It’s also close to Sydney, which makes for the perfect day trip. There are great cycling and walking trails and in spring they’re lined with purple, orange and yellow wildflowers, like acacias and banksias. There are rare plants here, found mostly in a special section of endangered habitat.
Bring some fabulous Lovedale local picnic produce to the park and set up at pretty Astills picnic area. Then cycle along Deadmans mountain bike loop or Astills trail, which are both easy, flat and suitable for any fitness level.
Bring binoculars and a camera – you’ll find brightly coloured bush birds flying low enough for great photography. Birdwatchers who come to Werakata are never disappointed; the abundance of food in the park attracts the likes of the threatened swift parrot or regent honeyeater as well as several species of robin.
Find out more about Werakata National Park here
Family Activities at Hunter Valley Gardens
Hunter Valley Gardens develop a diverse range of activities each School Holidays including reptile displays and demonstrations, circus workshops and themed shows such as Ice Age 4 and Despicable ME2.
The opportunity for a picnic day with gift shopping, family dining at Oscars and a scoop of ice cream in a beautiful rural location with sporting and fun activities (the unusual Aqua Golf Driving Range), golf putting course, playground and village green, with a stroll to the ‘Storybook Gardens’ makes for a great day out.
The Gardens’ four incredible rides, including the Venetian carousel, 25m ferris wheel, super speedy swing chair and giant slide will be available for the thrillseekers throughout Snow Time. Individual ride tokens and all day rides passes are available to purchase in the event area at the Gardens.
Hunter Valley Gardens celebrates the coolest season of all, with the return of their annual event – Snow Time in the Gardens. Enjoy amazing icy activities under sunny winter skies surrounded by beautiful gardens.
The Hunter Valley Gardens winter wonderland is full of fun and frosty activities for children of all ages! Glide on our giant ice skating rink, swoosh down our mega ice toboggan and experience a 9D snow adventure like no other. Do you want to build a snowman? Well, we’ve created a Snow Play Zone perfect for the occasion.
Find out more about kid’s activities at Hunter Valley Gardens here
Photos: Hunter Valley Gardens